Saturday, April 14, 2012

Productive Day!

I thought I would take a break from my productive day to blog! I love the days when I am productive...I wish I could say it was all the time but often I let the computer, movies, reading etc...take priority. Not that these things aren't great, but I have been trying to grow in this area of productivity and motivation and I like seeing progress! Does anyone else find that it is WAY too easy to just sit around rather than do the things you know you need to get done? It's funny, I am very on-top of things in other areas of my life, but I find that I have never been disciplined with housework. The first few years of our marriage I let things just get out of control in our house all the time. I wouldn't do laundry until we needed it, or do dishes until I didn't have a pot to cook with. Then I would have to spend hours cleaning everything...it has taken me years to discover the advantages of cleaning all the time in order to maintain a clean house. Don't get me wrong, as I write this I am looking at a craft/sewing strewn house and I have a pile of clothes and laundry to fold and put away! It is not always spotless and I don't always keep up. However, I am A LOT better and A LOT more disciplined than I have ever been. After I get everything done, and have nothing hanging over my head, I feel so much better, calm, peaceful and at rest. I definitely take after my Dad that way, he also needs to have everything done to be able to relax. I suppose the importance of discipline carries over into many areas of our lives; whether it be health, fitness, eating habits, relationships, bible reading or medication. I realize that I need to begin to develop more discipline in my exercise and eating habits if I want to eventually get pregnant and lead a healthy life. Discipline is HARD, isn't it? In the blink of an eye we can let ourselves be distracted, or can offer an excuse that allows us to evade the things we need to do. So, in light of these thoughts, my goal for this upcoming week is to establish more routines and systems that will help me be more disciplined. I am thinking about ways to help with my "sweet tooth snacking", exercise plans for the week so I am not unsure and tools/visuals that will help keep my motivation up! I am thinking of something like this (thanks Pinterest):
Here's to a good week :)

2 comments:

Rebecca Shellborn-Birch said...

Love this post! For me I need to remind myself of my motivation in the moment and not allow myself to make excuses (I have only made mistakes a handful of days this time around). Think about your overall goal of having a child in the moment and exercise and healthy eating will become second nature (because you will be thinking how fit and hot of a mom you want to be :). You will do it Mel! And your ideas are great. If you ever want to go on a long walk on Saturday late morning I would love to! Also I am doing a five k walk in June through the running room if you want to do it with me. It is free.

Melody Bell said...

Thanks Rebecca! I would love to do that walk with you, send me the details :)