Wednesday, August 17, 2011

New School Year...New Fertility Approach

I am heading into a new school year, my third as a teacher, and I can't help feel that "turn over a new leaf" feeling. September has always been one of my favorite times of year because of new school supplies (I have a weakness for pens and notepads), new school clothes, and a new class! This year, I am the teacher in this scenario, but those feelings are still evoked nonetheless. In keeping with this new leaf, I decided to go to a different doctor. This was one of the best things I could have done. He has such a different approach to whats going on with me. In our first session, I felt like more was done than there had been in the past year. He is confident that I will get pregnant, and he was honest that it is going to mean some hard work and dedication from me. He was blunt about my need to exercise and lose weight, and doesn't believe in pumping me full of hormones or fertility drugs just yet. He wants to see me in two months and see progress with my weight. Talk about incentive...I can't just show up and not have lost any weight. Honestly, I don't really know why this time is different...its not like I didn't know that I needed to lose weight, but having a doctor give you a deadline is kind of a wake up call. He suggested that I join Weight Watchers and join a gym, and make these a major priority in my life. I have to treat this like a problem I have. I have never really thought of my weight this way, its always more been a weakness in my eyes. I have to treat this like I have high blood pressure, or type 2 diabetes...something that I need to work to maintain.

So, in light of my new doctor and my new beginnings I am going to join WW and begin an exercise regime. I am going to be honest, every other time that I have attempted to maintain exercise or weight loss, I have failed. I am still working through and thinking of ways that I am going to be able to keep this up. My major incentive, of course, is having a baby, but I am thinking that I need to put up reminders around the house that remind me of this! Or perhaps a reward system: every month I lose weight I get to buy something for our future baby. I am still thinking through this, but if there is anyone out there who reads this and has ideas for perseverance, I would appreciate anything :)

This summer has flown by and I can hardly believe that I am looking toward a new school year in just a few weeks! I have many hopes, dreams and goals for this year, and as soon as I have them all figured out I am going to blog about them so I have a constant reminder of what I really want out of this year! Now to narrow down all the things I want to do/have...could be a big task!!

Mel :)

3 comments:

Laura said...

Mel, I am so excited for you!! I too, feel a surge of new hope for you, in your journey to have babies. Good for you, for seeking change and going for it!
As for incentives, you just need to find what works for you. Maybe posting pictures - of a baby, of a slim girl in a bikini, etc. - would help? This might sound totally out there, but I've heard a tip about eating something unhealthy (ie. donut) in front of a mirror, naked. Then you have the visual of where that donut is going! Just a thought. Also, water is a huge component to weight loss... I try and challenge myself to drinking a full glass before doing something that I want to do, because I'm not good at drinking it. Or having fresh lemon in it helps for me.

Anyways... I wish you all the best on this journey and say "You can do it!!"
I look forward to hearing your amazing results!

Blushing Daisy Designs said...

Thanks Laura! You are so supportive, and I really appreciate it!! I can imagine that eating a donut or chips, naked, in front of a mirror would be awful, and work!

Melody Bell said...

Ummm, that's me not BDD lol :)